Until very recently the congregation of St Paul & St John’s URC met in the former St John’s Presbyterian Church in Beach Road, near South Shields town centre. (see Gallery Page). Sadly, owing to a diminished membership and high costs of maintenance of this building the congregation now meet in a building known as the Church Centre. This building is conveniently situated just behind the old church, in Broughton Road.
The former St John’s Presbyterian Church in Beach Road, South Shields, became part of the United Reformed Church in 1972 but it can trace it’s history back to the Act of Uniformity of 1662. Over many years the congregation met in several buildings on sites in the South Shields area, the final one being the building in Beach Road that, sadly, became uneconomical to retain and was sold in 2021. The congregation now meet in the Church Centre, pictured above.
The former St Paul’s Presbyterian Church in Westoe Road, South Shields, also became part of the United Reformed Church in 1972. St Paul’s was opened on 23 July 1879 and closed on 17 March 1968. The congregation was officially joined with St John’s Church and a new church named the United Reformed Church of St Paul and St John was established.